Welcome to NAMI - Solano County
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a nonprofit, volunteer, grassroots organization. Our purpose is to:
- Support families of individuals with mental illnesses.
- Educate families and the public about mental illness.
- Advocate for improved treatment and treatment facilities.
- Fight stigma and discrimination.
- Support legislation that helps those with neurobiological brain disorders.
- Improve private and public sector policies.
- Provide more housing with support services.
- Increase outreach to people with mental illnesses and their families.
Our affiliate, NAMI - Solano County, began when a group of families met to find ways to improve the lives of their loved ones with mental illness. Since that time our membership and influence have continued to grow.
"Out of the Darkness" Walk to Prevent Suicide
NAMI Solano County participated in the Out - of - the - Darkness 5k Walk to Save Lives on March 9, 2013 at Solano Community College. Solano County Office of Education (SCOE) and Solano Community College (SCC) co-hosted the event to raise funds for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s (AFSP) vital research and education programs to prevent suicide and save lives, increase national awareness about depression and suicide, advocate for mental health issues, and assist survivors of suicide loss.
NAMI Solano County had a team and a booth during the event. We distributed information about mental illnesses, our upcoming Family to Family class that will be held in the fall of 2013, passed out newsletters, took pictures, met a lot of great people and had a great time.
Our April 22, 2013 NAMI Solano's general meeting will feature a speaker discussing More than Sad, a follow up of the walk and Suicide Prevention. The meeting will be held at ALDEA Children & Family Services, 470 Chadbourne Road, Fairfield from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. It will be very informative. Please come and join us!
NAMI Solano Newsletter
Download the 1st Quarter, 2013 today. It is filled with information on what is new and happening in Solano County's Mental Health and NAMI.
NAMI - Solano County
Officers & Committee Members
- Jeannette Goyetche, Secretary
- Myra Binstock, Treasurer/Membership Chair
- Helen Michetti, Family to Family Facilitator
- Yolanda Garcia-Martinez, Member-at-Large
- Lorraine Yount, Member-at-Large, Christmas Gift Bags
- Dorothy Laney, Member-at-Large, Newsletter