Independent Living Centers provide a variety of services to help people with any type of disability to achieve maximum independence. The majority of staff and board members at the Independent Living Centers are people who have disabilities. Services are free.
Types of services available from an Independent Living Center include:
- Benefits Advocacy – Information, referral, intervention and representation for people who are having difficulty with benefits programs such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI), In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS), Medi-Cal, Department of Rehabilitation (DR), etc.
- Systems Advocacy and Community Education – Advocacy activities which preserve or strengthen the rights of persons who have disabilities.
- Housing Assistance and Advocacy – Assist people to locate, secure and maintain accessible, affordable housing.
- Peer Counseling and Support – Support the emotional needs of people who have disabilities through counseling or one-on-one peer support.
- Personal Assistance Services – Training and referral of personal assistants who perform personal care and homemaking services. Training and informational services for people who have disabilities to help people successfully employ personal assistants.
- Independent Living Skills – Training and assistance to help people develop individualized skills and knowledge to encourage maximum independence in areas such as money and household management, menu planning and shopping, personal hygiene and self-care.
- Information and Referral – Help to access individual needs and match these needs with the appropriate resources in the community.
For more information or to request assistance or services call:
Independent Living Resources
450 Chadbourne Road Ste. C
Fairfield, CA 94534
Spanish speaking staff available.